Login    FPS Headquarters    Search    FAQ

Board index » Call of Duty: Black Ops » Help and Advice » Guides

In lieu of making another guide, did you find this one helpful?
Yes, I thought it was pretty good. 100%  100%  [ 13 ]
Seems like my dog ate your homework. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

Post subject: Sentry Gun guide
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:11 am 
FORUM VIP
FORUM VIP

Platform: XBOX 360
GT/PSN: Diddumss
This is my first guide, so please don't flame. If you disagree with something, feel free to say so. This is an ongoing guide, and will be regularly updated with any good feedback I might get, plus anything I might pick up as I use it more. Lots of information here is taken from various websites, as far as I can tell there are no copyrights to this information. Should you have any information here which is copyrighted, please let me know and I'll remove it.

DAVE'S SENTRY GUN GUIDE:

Contents:

1: General information.
2: Statistics
3: Things to remember.
4: Defending the Sentry Gun.
5: Placement.
6: Unanswered questions.

1: General Information:

The Sentry Gun in Call of Duty: Black Ops is a 6 killstreak reward, as opposed to a 5 killstreak reward in Modern Warfare 2. With Hardline it becomes a 5 killstreak.

It is still airdropped by a helicopter which can be shot down. When that helicopter gets shot down before it drops the crate, the crate will fall at the point of impact.

The Sentry Gun costs 3200 COD points to purchase. Once purchased, it is always available until you activate Prestige Mode, in which case it needs to be purchased again.

The Sentry Gun uses thermal to detect enemy targets, the only way to stay undetected by one is to use Ghost Pro.

There is no evidence that a Sentry Gun will shoot at enemy air support if placed high up. (If anyone can confirm the contrary, please do)

2: Statistics (Credit to Denkirson for these stats):

Health: 1000 health.
Duration: 90 Seconds.
Armor: 0.3x bullet damage (The armor reduces bullet damage taken by 3, per bullet)
Stun Duration: 5 seconds.
Damage per bullet: 20
Fire time: 0.05 seconds.
Delay between Salvos: 1 second (it also takes the sentry one second to fire after targeting an enemy)
Rounds per minute: 6000rpm.

3: Things to remember:

3.1: The Sentry Gun is noticably more powerful than the one in Modern Warfare 2.
3.2: Once the Sentry gun is placed, it can only be moved by it's owner.
3.3: The Sentry Gun can be destroyed by one melee hit.
3.4: The Sentry Gun will not fire at RC-XDs.
3.5: The Sentry Gun can be hacked by Hacker Pro users. Doing so inflicts damage to the turret, and reduces it's lifespan. Once hacked, the turret will fire for the enemy team, and can no longer be moved.
3.6: The Sentry Gun will not disappear if you're killed.
3.6 When firing, the Sentry Gun will appear on the enemy's minimap.
3.7: Sentry Guns can not be taken out by team mates (can someone check if this is the case in hardcore please?)
3.8: The Sentry Gun is disabled for 5 seconds if hit by a stun or flash grenade. Nova gas has no effect.
3.9: Sentry Guns don't have infinite range. Placing one too far away from a busy route won't net you any kills, unless someone happens to walk by.
3.10: The Sentry Gun will shoot enemy dogs if they come in range. (Kudos to Lepercolony)

Defending the Sentry Gun:

The Sentry Gun is very vulnerable to melee attacks. If someone manages to get behind it, they can take it out with one melee attack. Defending the Sentry Gun is important, as it's an important target for Ghost users. Placing the Sentry Gun in such a position that it can cover an entire side is beneficial. This will leave the other side vulnerable, but you can always place a Claymore Mine nearby or keep an eye on it yourself and shoot anyone that comes nearby.

Placing the Sentry Gun:

The placing of the Sentry Gun is very important for two reasons. One is that you want to get as many kills as possible with it, and the second is that you don't want it to be too accessible for enemy players.

If anyone would like to add any map-specific placing ideas, please feel free to do so.

These are my thoughts on placing the Turret in general:

Always get as much field of vision as possible, without comprimising it's security. Placing a turret in the middle of an open space might seem like it will get you lots of kills, but odds are it will be taken out within minutes of being placed.

Placing it in a building might seem like a good idea, but windows can severely restrict it's line of sight. I personally find it best to place Sentry Guns on gantries, rooves, and corners where they're more likely to kill someone that's approaching them.

Something to keep in mind is that many players use the Ghost perk, which upgrades to Pro once a certain amount of challenges are complete. One of these challenges involves destroying a Sentry Gun. This can be used to your advantage, for example:

In Radiation, there's a little hut in the middle of the map next to the cargo doors, on the silo side. It has one access ladder going up to it. If you have a Ghost user or two on the enemy team, plave the Turret on top of that, facing the ladder. They'll want to take out the sentry, thus climbing the ladder to get to it. Once they reach the top, the Sentry will shoot them before they even touch base.

Unanswered questions:

These are questions that popped up while writing this guide. I couldn't find any conclusive answers on the internet, and haven't had time to try it out myself yet.

1: Which air support is capable of taking out a sentry gun? Napalm? Carpet bomber?

If you can provide any answers, that'd be great.

As I said before, this is my first guide. If you'd like to contribute anything, please do so. If this gets a good response, I might do another one on SAM Turrets.

Thanks for reading this, I hope you enjoyed it / learned something!

Last edited by Diddums on Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sentry Gun guide
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:21 pm 
FORUM VIP
FORUM VIP

Platform: PS3
GT/PSN: uberwarrior
Nice guide mate, if you've got any handy places for them that would be good. I have found that on some maps you cannot seem to put them on some of the more elevated positions.

|A|

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:01 pm 
LEVEL 4
LEVEL 4

GT/PSN: lepercolony
good stuff man. might want to add this nugget i found out the other night: sentries will target enemy dogs, so if you can't find any high ground to evade them, in a pinch you can hide behind your sentry.

p.s. i've always liked your posts but i have a feeling it has more to do with your avatar. :D

[ lepercolony ] Reporting for Progress!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:58 pm 
FORUM VIP
FORUM VIP

GT/PSN: Diddumss
Thanks for the positive feedback chaps.

lepercolony wrote:
good stuff man. might want to add this nugget i found out the other night: sentries will target enemy dogs, so if you can't find any high ground to evade them, in a pinch you can hide behind your sentry.

p.s. i've always liked your posts but i have a feeling it has more to do with your avatar. :D

I never even gave that a thought. That's a piece of useful info too, I'll put it in right away.

I'm glad you like my avatar. It's there to put a smile on people's faces, and it seems to be working ok.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:55 pm 
LEVEL 5
LEVEL 5

GT/PSN: TrizzyDizzy
Good stuff man. As for what KSR can take out a Sentry Gun? I know Napalm, Mortar, B52, CG, and Gunship can all take them out. I believe they've all destroyed a sentry gun of mine on Nuketown at least once.

A tip for Sentry placement is inside typical spawn points. Most spawn points in each level have a big open area behind them, for whatever reason. Drop a sentry there, then rush to the enemy's current spawn. By the time you push them out, spawns will switch, and they'll end up right around the corner of your Sentry.

So many games I'll think I've done terrible, only to notice that my Sentry netted me the majority of my kills, I just wasn't paying attention.

Guides
MW3 Shotgun Guide (Striker)
A Guide to Map Awareness

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:51 pm 
LEVEL 4
LEVEL 4

Why not wait until you have 2 sentry guns and really cordon off a section of the map? I like to put them on top of the bus on either side facing B Dom in Cracked. And of course in the corner facing A Dom in Radiation. I don't think Ghost Pro protects you from sentry guns does it?

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:39 am 
NEW USER

GT/PSN: pwn2
Nice Info - But the avatar makes a little hard to pay attention!

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:03 am 
NEW USER

GT/PSN: dodger_boy42
All helpful as ive never been quite sure to place one in launch... any ideas?

And the award for best avatar ever is... Diddums!!!!!
ps... who is she?

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:55 pm 
FORUM VIP
FORUM VIP

GT/PSN: theINFAMOUSkiwi
Nice guide man!

I'm really tempted to try out the sentry gun!

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:34 pm 
SUPER USER!
SUPER USER!

haunt_postmortem wrote:
I don't think Ghost Pro protects you from sentry guns does it?

It will keep it from targeting you, but won't save you when your retarded teammates line up with you while you are going to take it out and it shoots through you to get to them.

Ghost Pro will let you approach it relatively safely and Hacker Pro will let you rewire it to work for your team, although it doesn't work that great. I've rewired three of them recently without getting a single kill out of them.

Profile E-mail  

Board index » Call of Duty: Black Ops » Help and Advice » Guides